10 Risk Factors Causing Obesity

ten trisk factors causing obesity

Obesity, poor eating habits, a sedentary lifestyle, and a lack of information are all contributing to one of the world’s most serious health problems. For these reasons, the prevalence of obesity is increasing day by day in our country. Obesity can cause a variety of serious diseases, including cancer and, most importantly, death, by disrupting the body’s natural balance. According to studies, obesity affects more than 40% of women and twice as many men. Due to the “22 May European Obesity Day,” specialists from Eliteclinic General Surgery Department provided information on the causes and treatment of obesity.


Obesity increases risk of cancer, diabetes and heart disease.

Obesity is a disease that negatively affects the quality and duration of life. Only 3% to 10%  of people with excessive weight problems can lose their body weight with diet and exercise. The remaining 90% of patients are at risk of developing cancer, diabetes, or cardiovascular disease. Obesity is a significant factor that has a negative impact on the lives of both older and younger people. To illustrate, in comparison to his/her peers, a 20-year-life old’s expectancy is reduced by 12 years.

It may cause infertility in men

Poor sperm quality caused by obesity is a major issue in men with obesity problems. Normally, in men, a small amount of estrogen hormone is secreted from the adipose tissue. However, in people who are obese, the male hormone testosterone is converted into more estrogen, and testosterone levels in the blood are reduced. As a result, sperm quality decreases. Obese men have more hormonal irregularities than men who are at a healthy weight. In men, obesity increases the risk of colon and prostate cancer.

Cause of 500,000 cancer cases 10 years later

Obesity is a disease, not an aesthetic or posture issue. Obesity is expected to cause 500,000 cancer cases per year by 2030, according to studies. Obesity plays a direct role in the development of 7% of cancers. It is also one of the most important causes of many chronic diseases. If each person loses about one kilogram, 100,000 cancer cases can be avoided each year around the world.

Pay attention to the factors that cause obesity!

  • Excessive and wrong eating habits
  • Lack of physical activity
  • Age, gender, education level, socio-cultural factors, income status
  • Hormonal and metabolic factors
  • Genetic, psychological factors
  • Applying very low-energy diets at frequent intervals
  • Smoking and alcohol use habits
  • Some drugs used (antidepressants, etc.)
  • Number of births and frequent birth interval
  • Insufficient intake of breast milk

Many diseases are caused by obesity.

  • Type 2 diabetes
  • High blood pressure
  • High blood fats and cholesterol
  • Liver steatosis
  • Cardiovascular diseases such as atherosclerosis
  • Joint disorders
  • Sleep apnea

Ovarian cysts and related menstrual irregularities in women

  • Excessive hair growth
  • Buried penis and hormonal disorders in boys
  • Depression
  • Some cancers

Permanent treatment of obesity with surgery

While diet and exercise have a lower success rate in the treatment of obesity, surgery has a much higher success rate. Obesity surgery (Bariatric surgery) not only improves a person’s aesthetic appearance but also improves their quality of life. As a consequence, achieving permanent weight loss with surgery against diseases like cardiovascular disease, psychological disorders, and sleep apnea is critical. In bariatric surgery, the method is determined individually. Patients can return to work and social life in a short time after a comfortable operation, and with proper planning, they can reach their ideal weight in no time.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This field is required.

You may use these <abbr title="HyperText Markup Language">html</abbr> tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

*This field is required.